Specialty - Orthodontics
Dr Larry Uria qualified as a dentist in 1991 after which he practised general dentistry in London from 1992-1995.
Following this Dr Uria completed a Master of Science degree in dentistry and then proceeded to specialise in Orthodontics with a Masters degree. In addition Dr Uria passed the examinations of the College of Medicine and Dental Surgeons, of which he is now a fellow in the discipline of Orthodontics - in essence a “specialist-specialist” degree.
Dr Uria’s training included the edgewise technique (standard braces), clear aligners, as well as lingual orthodontics (braces on the inside). Functional appliances (plates) also formed a strong foundation of Dr Uria’s studies.
Dr Uria maintains a strong connection with continuing education and an emphasis on staying at the cutting edge of orthodontics. Dr Uria is a part time lecturer and an honorary associate at the University of Sydney with a post graduate teaching position.
Dr Uria’s scope of treatment ranges from young children requiring early phase one treatment, to more complex adult and surgical orthodontic cases. Dr Uria constantly pursues continuing education courses to provide his patients with the most up-to-date techniques available.
Facets of orthodontic treatment include:
- Edgewise appliance (braces both metal and clear)
- Latest self-ligating brackets
- Mouth guards
- Early treatment when indicated
- Lingual appliance (braces on the inside of the teeth)
- Functional appliances (plates that help direct jaw growth)
- Invisalign (clear aligners used to straighten teeth in select cases only)
- Temper mandibular joint and muscle disorders (jaw joint)
- Snoring appliances
- Adult orthodontics
- Multidisciplinary treatment planning (complex cases involving various other specialists’ e.g. periodontists, prosthodontists etc…)
- Surgical cases involving combined orthodontic-orthognathic approach to treatment (moving the jaws around to correct skeletal dis-harmonies)
- Aesthetic clear braces
Dr Larry Uria Philosophy
To provide the highest quality of service to all patients, focusing on a warm, friendly and caring treatment atmosphere.
Dr Larry Uria offers a variety of treatment options tailored to the individual needs of each patient.
"I strive to maintain a kind and caring approach with my patients and to be a sincere professional. I feel that a true orthodontic knowledge can only come from a solid background of intense research and clinical training. My professional goal is to maintain the high standard to which I have been trained and to pursue a deeper understanding in orthodontics."
"I will continue to be active in research, teach the discipline of orthodontics, and provide the highest quality of treatment for my patients. 'In the design of the human face, nature evidently translated the divine proportion into a pattern of harmonious relations between the soft and hard tissues' (Jacobsen, 1995) - for me, this is the essence of orthodontics, examining and treating the patient in their entirety."
- Member of the Australian Dental Association 2000 - current
- Member of the Australian Society of Orthodontists 2003 - current
- Member of the Australia - New Zealand Paedodontic Society
- Member and President of the Eastern Suburbs Dental Study Group
- Member of the Alpha Omega Dental fraternity 1991 - current
- Member and Treasurer Sydney Alpha Omega Chapter 2003 - current
- Member of the Dental Association of South Africa 1991 - current
- Member of the British Dental Association 1993 - current
- Member of the Paedodontic Society of South Africa 1995 - current
- Member of the South African Society of Orthodontists (SASO) 1999 - current
- WITS Dental Graduates Association Past Vice-President 1997-2002
- Australian Dental Council 1999 - current
- Dental Board of New South Wales 1999 - current
- Health Professions Council of South Africa 1991 - current
- General Dental Council United Kingdom 1991 - current
- Royal College of Medicine and Dentistry of South Africa 2002 - current